Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
A few subtle signs or symptoms can occur long before you're aware you need a root canal. Luckily, your Kirkland, WA, dentist Dr. Bernard Pak, can help you decipher the signs and get the treatment you need.
Do I need a root canal?
One or more of these signs or symptoms can occur if you need a root canal:
- An Ache or Pain in a Tooth: Root canals are needed if you have an infection or inflammation in the pulp, the soft center section of your tooth comprised of tissues, nerves and blood vessels. Unfortunately, the inflammation or infection won't get better on its own and will begin to cause pain in your tooth. Pain may not be strong at first and can even come or go, at least initially.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Your tooth may be unusually sensitive if it's inflamed or infected. If you eat a hot piece of pizza, drink an ice-cold beverage or indulge in a sugary piece of candy, your tooth pain may increase. You may also notice that pain increases when you chew or even put the slightest pressure on your teeth.
- Fever and Other Abscess Symptoms: A bacterial infection in your pulp can make you feel miserable. If you have an abscess, you may develop a fever and swollen lymph nodes. Other symptoms can include facial swelling, pus around the tooth, a small bump on your gum, or severe, throbbing pain. Call your dentist right away if you notice any of these symptoms. Without treatment, the infection can spread to your heart or brain.
- Gum Pain: Your inflammation or infection may also affect your gums. You may notice that they're pain, red and swollen.
- Tooth Darkening: Teeth can become darker if they're inflamed or infected.
How will my root canal help me?
During a root canal, your Kirkland dentist removes the dental pulp, eliminating the source of your pain. Although your pulp played an important role in the development of your tooth, it isn't quite so crucial now. In fact, your tooth will function fine without it.
After the pulp is removed, your dentist will clean the interior of the tooth and shape the tiny root canals with a file. The final step in the process involves filling your tooth with gutta percha, a durable, rubber-based material. You may also need to add a dental crown to the treated tooth to protect it.
Do any of these signs and symptoms sound familiar? Contact your Kirkland, WA, dentist Dr. Bernard Pak, at (425) 893-9500, to schedule an appointment.
Which Cosmetic Dentistry Procedure Is Right for You?
Want a smile that radiates beauty? Cosmetic dentistry can give you the Hollywood smile you've always dreamed of. Cosmetic dentistry refers to any dental work that improves the appearance of a patient's teeth. Led by Dr. Bernard Pak, Kirkland Smiles Dental Care (located in Kirkland, WA) offers a full range of cosmetic dentistry services to the patients they serve. The following information can help you determine which type of cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you.
Cosmetic Bonding- Composite resin bonding is a fast, minimally invasive option that can create a beautiful smile. Cosmetic bonding is the application of a tooth-colored composite resin using adhesives and a curing light. Bonding is routinely used for cosmetic purposes to improve the appearance of decayed, chipped, and fractured teeth. Bonding is also to close gaps between teeth and improve the appearance of stained teeth.
Bridgework- You don't have to go through life with a missing tooth. If you have a missing tooth, a fixed bridge will allow you to smile with confidence. A dental bridge is a dental restoration that's used to replace one or more missing teeth. A bridge is made of two crowns and a fabricated tooth in the middle. A fixed dental bridge can last five to 15 years and even longer. With regular checkups and good oral hygiene, it's not unusual for the life span of a fixed bridge to be over 15 years.
Invisalign- Invisalign is the clear alternative to traditional braces for teens and adults. Invisalign corrects a wide variety of dental problems, including overbites, underbites, protruding teeth, cross bites, overcrowded teeth, gapped teeth, and crooked teeth. Using a series of aligner trays, Invisalign gradually moves your teeth toward the smile you've always wanted. It usually takes between 9 to 18 months to create a new smile using Invisalign.
Dental Crowns- Dental crowns can improve the appearance of your smile. A dental crown is a 'cap' that is designed to fit over the tooth so that it appears to be a natural tooth. A dental crown completely encases the visible portion of the tooth. Crowns restore the teeth to their normal size, shape, and function. The purpose of crowns is to make the teeth stronger or improve the way they look. Crowns can improve the look of chipped, cracked, discolored, or misshapen teeth.
Dental Implants- The absence of teeth can ruin a nice smile. Dental implants are the gold standard in the replacement of missing teeth. An implant is a small metal post that is inserted into the jawbone. It provides a strong foundation for a replacement tooth. The benefits of dental implants include improved appearance, improved speech, easier eating, improved comfort, and durability. Dental implants also prevent bone loss, teeth shifting, and facial sagging.
Porcelain Veneers- Veneers are ultra-thin, custom-made shells that are placed over the front part of the teeth. Porcelain veneers are used to restore teeth that are discolored, crooked, chipped, or cracked. It's also possible to fix gapped teeth through the use of porcelain veneers.
Teeth Whitening- In-office teeth whitening a revolutionary procedure that uses a strong whitening solution and chairside lamp to speed up the whitening process. In-office teeth whitening can give you a bright-white smile in less than 45 minutes. Dispensed by dentists, take-home teeth whitening kits involve filling a custom-fitted tray with whitening gel. Take-home teeth whitening kits provide fantastic results in one or two weeks of use.
Call Kirkland Smiles Dental Care at (425) 893-9500 right now to schedule a dental consultation in Kirkland, WA. Cosmetic dentistry can transform your appearance.