Your dental and gingival health keeps your smile bright and attractive and your overall health vibrant, too. Preventive dentistry assists your careful home maintenance routines. Read here how Kirkland, WA, dentist, Dr. Bernard Pak, and his team at Kirkland Smile Dental Care provide professional cleanings and other outstanding services.
The benefits of professional teeth cleaning
The American Dental Association (ADA) tells both children and adults to brush their teeth twice a day for a full two minutes. Flossing daily is essential as well, but what's the point of these two common oral hygiene practices?
It's plaque removal. Your dentist in Kirkland understands that without brushing and flossing, bacteria-filled plaque and rock-hard tartar accumulate, eventually decaying teeth and causing destructive gum disease.
However, at-home hygiene can't do it all. You need the help of a skilled dental hygienist to scale your teeth with special instruments, removing what you cannot reach with toothbrush and floss.
Other benefits of a professional cleaning at Kirkland Smiles Dental care are:
- Your hygienist will alert Dr. Pak to any problems she sees while cleaning your teeth--decay, gingivitis, loose crowns or cracked fillings, and sores in the mouth, as examples.
- Your teeth will feel and look shiny and clean. A thorough cleaning removes many surfaces stains, too.
- Your hygienist will show you ways to improve how you brush and floss at home. She may recommend using a water flosser, an electric toothbrush or a special mouth rinse to keep your breath fresh.
- Your systemic health will improve. When your teeth and gums are healthy, your risk for diabetes, heart attack, stroke, low birth weight babies, and even dementia decreases significantly.
Also, your hygienist and your dentist will assess your gums, tongue, back of the throat, lips, and other soft oral tissues for signs of oral cancer. The Oral Cancer Foundation estimates that more than 51,000 of these dangerous cancers will be diagnosed in the United States 2018. Dental teams across the country help protect patients just like you with early detection and treatment to achieve complete cures.
Finally, your hygienic cleaning sets the stage for another important preventive dentistry service: the oral examination. Dr. Pak thoroughly inspects teeth and gums for:
- Gum disease
- Dental alignment
- Condition of fillings, crowns, sealants, bonding, veneers, and more
- Jaw joint function
- Signs of excessive wear (sometimes related to teeth grinding)
He will present his findings to you, recommending any needed restorations or suggested cosmetic work.
Are your teeth clean?
They will be after a hygienic cleaning at Kirkland Smiles Dental Center in Kirkland, WA. Dr. Pak sees patients for exams and cleanings every six months or as needed. Please contact his office team today for your appointment: (425) 893-9500.